There’s a series going around the web about people’s First Seven Jobs. It’s been fun and fascinating to see the very first jobs people held. There’s a diverse selection of people’s first seven jobs here, Fred Wilson, Brad Feld, and Keenan.
It’s actually a huge amount of fun–first thinking about your own, reflecting on what they meant to you (privately) and seeing others’ experience. Consequently, I’ve invited a huge number of people of diverse backgrounds, ages, and locations, to share their first 7 jobs. I’ll be posting them weekly, usually on Sundays. Feel free to join in, send your first seven jobs to me by email (email@example.com). I’ll post them in the order I get them.
This week, we have two more fascinating people, Kathy Dyer and Chris Ahearn
Waitress at the Big Burger drive-in/eat in in Yuma Arizona
Waitress Huddle In Pancake Restaurant in Yuma Arizona – $.80/hour plus tips.
Engineering Aid- Yuma Proving Ground- largest environmental testing facility in the world at the time(may still be); run by US Army and used by us and our allies to test equipment in extreme environmental conditions.
Operating System Programmer on NCR Century series mainframes. Developed ‘disc verify’ error routines for disc peripherals. This was back when the only computers were in locked computer rooms with raised floors.
Software Development Manager for communications software for front ends to NCR mainframes.
Program Manager– communications solutions for financial industry customers- NCR Comten.
NCR District Sales Manager in NYC for single account district – NCR’s largest single Financial account in the world at the time–Manufacturers Hanover Bank. Manny Hanny long since been absorbed into Chemical bank which was then absorbed into Chase.
1. Baby Sitter – mostly for my parents friends. Kids were pretty much old enough to take care of themselves.
2. Summer Ranch Hand – milking cows (by hand), collecting eggs, fixing fence, cutting, bailing, slipping and stacking hay, outfitting, etc. The best summers of my life.
3. Dish Washer – Mazola’s Italian restaurant. Ya’ gotta’ start at the bottom in the restaurant business.
4. Pizza Chef – Mazola’s Italian Restaurant. Head chef was medal winner a few years later at the Winter Olympics.
5. Bag Boy – mostly picking the range, cleaning carts and running to the top of the hill to fetch bags.
6. Rental Dock Attendant – hourly rentals of small McGregor boats.
7. Rental Marina Manager – responsible for fleet of 100 rental boats, four ski boats, 40 passenger tour boat, repair shop, and the bane of my existence – bumper boats.
Thanks Kathy and Chris!
Please share this with #myfirstsevenjobs.
Send yours in, ask your colleagues for theirs. Learn, Have Fun!