What has the most impact on the success or failure of your sales force?
Is it strategic focus on the right customers? Is it sales training? Is it automation sales tools? A well implemented CRM? Is it good coaching? Is it a good sales playbook and process? Is it the alignment of sales and marketing? Is it great sales enablement and revenue operations?
According to research conducted by Dave Brock for his soon to be released book, what really sets the successful organisations apart consistently, year after year, is the culture, the values, the leadership, and particularly the talent.
And Dave claims that a large percentage of organisations fall short on the talent part. They do not know how to grow and retain top talent. That’s why the average tenure of B2B salespeople is less than 15 months. And essentially the majority of people leave because of their manager.
In this discussion Dave focusses in on what do we need to do to hire, develop and retain a team of top talent?
Some of the points Dave makes are:
– The fully loaded cost of a salesperson is millions of dollars and yet we put much more time and effort into acquiring a million dollars worth of capital equipment.
– We need to deploy a good systematic approach to hiring top talent with the right competencies, and attributes and who align with our values
– we need to onboard and develop our talent in ways that will makes them feel an important part of our organisation and they feel at home.
– It is important to create a workplace where everybody contributes, everybody is aligned, and they’re eager to grow together.
– Most resignations are the result of not being able to work with their manager.
Dave makes a number of recommendations to help grow and retain your top talent team.